Call Us: 614-271-8175
We’re committed to helping you
HARMFUL INGREDIENTS LIST OF PERSONAL CARE PRODUCTS
-Check bottom paragraph for alternatives-
The good news is that there are product alternatives out there that are offered to consumers like us who want to eliminate as many toxins as we can.
Here are some suggestions and links that may help:
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil works great for moisturizing and conditioning the skin. Add a small amount in palm of the hand, and smooth over skin while the body is wet, right out of the shower.
- Baking Soda has long been used as a natural alternative for toothpaste.
- Hydrogen Peroxide kills nearly every harmful bacteria! Put some in a spray bottle and use that to clean counters, bathrooms and sinks.
For many other alternatives please visit any of the following:
Tom's of Maine is also available in local stores, offering many types of products.
The other alternative is to READ LABLES well. Kroger and other stores are carrying more and more"green" products or products with natural ingredients.
- Diethanolamine (DEA) - found in shampoos, body washes, bubble bath, and shaving cream. Found to cause liver & kidney damage in mice.
- Triethanolamine (TEA) - found in moisturizers, cosmetics, deodorant, toothpaste, body oils and washes. Also a coating for fresh fruits. Is a carcinogen.
- Sodium Lauryl Sulphate (SLS) - found in shampoo, bubble bath, shaving foam, and cleaners
- Sodium Laureth Sulphate (SLES) - same as above.
- Propylene Glycol - found in the anti freeze for your car radiator, and sanitizers, moisturizers, shaving creams, deodorant, and baby products. So toxic those who work with it wear gloves and goggles. Has been found to "alters skin structure", allowing other chemicals to penetrate deeper into the skin and blood stream.
- Ether - found in nail treatments, shampoo, and conditioner.
- Coal Tars - found in shampoo, conditioner, hair dyes, soap, skin care and cosmetics.
- Formaldehyde - found in antiperspirants, nail treatments, and perfumes. May trigger asthma, eye & upper respiratory tract irritation. Has been banned by European Union (26 countries).
- Petrolatum or Mineral Oil - found in moisturizers, washes, and baby products. Clogs skin pores like a plastic coating & can lead to premature aging. Commonly found on changing tables & near baby's bath -- MOVE IT! Several reports of death of children who have ingested and suffocated to death.
- Sodium Hydroxide - found in soaps and detergents, is a caustic poison, corrosive to skin.
- Fabric softners and dryer sheets contain 3 chemicals known to cause cancer and 2 chemicals that are on the EPA's Hazardous Waste List. If you're battling "cling" try throwing a couple of tennis balls into the dryer -- that will take care of the cling.
- Teflon when heated, releases a chemical called perfluoroctanoic acid (PFOA). This chemical is found in 90% of the human population because our bodies can't eliminate it! Effects hormone function and Dupont's (maker of teflon) research in 1981 showed traces of it in the unborn children of pregnant women. Try using stainless steel and cast iron pots and pans.